Monday, October 1, 2007

I still don't know how to do this..........

I am OLD. Seriously. I'm old. Everybody is talking about their blogs. Everybody I know has one. I didn't know what that word was until last year. I still don't know what to write in a blog. As I scanned The Webbs on the Web and The Watts Family sites (cute by the way!) I notice that there's lots about kids and day-to-day acitivities. I think that I am sort-of handicapped or something. I must be a terrible mother. I'm with my children, what, 23.7 hours a day? Even when I take a "rest stop" I'm not alone- 90% of the time I have company. And the second I turn the shower off there is a midget in my bathroom saying "All Done???? All Done??"- she opens the curtain for me and waits for me to get out and then points at my body and giggles. Anyways, my point is, after 4.5 years of constant company, when I sit down to write my thoughts, shouldn't they always be about 'my girls'? But I fight it! I want to write other stuff. But this isn't the place for that, is it? Like, I just finished a great book- SPOOK, by Mary Roach. She also wrote STIFF. I have LOVED both of her books. It's not so much the subject matter, although both topics (The possiblities of life after death and the historical uses of cadavers, respectively) were fascinating, but the way she writes is hilarious and the job that she has is one that I dream of. I would love doing crazy research like that in libraries around the world and finding obscure facts and anecdotes that no one has even set eyes on in a hundred years. That is my dream job.
On another note, one that the REST of the world might find more heartwarming and worth reading- we took the girls to the OKC Zoo last Friday. It really is a perfect zoo and it was a great day to go. Nobody there- AND the girls got free t-shirts!! They ARE advertising a dentist's office, but hey, they have a crocodile on them and more importantly, they were FREE! We love free stuff. Olivia and Frances (the ones that I call my girls) had a blast in with the Lorikeets (pretty, parrot-like birds) and were much friendlier with them than I could make myself. I'm scared of birds!! Why?
The trip to the zoo was Don and Kaye's treat (that would be my husband, Eric's parents). They drove in from Seattle for the weekend. We are just one stop on their 4 week circuitous trip that will bring them to nearly every one of their 7 children's homes. It was great to see them. Eric hasn't seen them since we (don't you love how it's always "we" when he's actually the only one flying?) started pilot training in this lovely place that is Enid, OK.
I guess that's enough for today. I feel like I need to catch up my whole life until today. Not necessary, right? Well....if no one ever reads this word vomit, I won't be surprised. But I can see how this might turn into another compulsive thing.

5 comments:

Ketsy said...

I love it. I have been waiting for you to jump on the blog-wagon. Franny's hair is so cute!! It has been way too long since I saw pictures of the girls. How is your femur?

Watts Family said...

I just love the way you write. Keep it up girl. Cute cute.

Anonymous said...

Good job! Good job Billy Jean!! I love seeing all the pics of my baby girls and also loved the Tulsa Marathon pics. Astilbe is PERFECT. Don't drop the A! Much too soon to make a firm judgment. It may become more clear in a few years! xo

Don C said...

Hey, "Hill"....I'm a "first time reader"....I finally got time to look your "authorship" over....and found the site with the help on your parents. Super fun to read, see the "pics" and remember the great time we had there. I say you'll be going the full marathon by 2009. Keep up the good work... see y'all soon.

Don C said...

This is really me(Kaye), but I'm signing in as Don C. Hillarie, you have such a gift for writing!! I chuckled most of the way through it. You could even write a book on the fun and funny things raising children and a huband. Your "aside" comments are so hillarious. It's like some of the books I so enjoy with the authors putting what people are really thinking in their mind, and not what they are outwardly saying or are doing. Iloved it.